12 Jan Green Goddess Grain Bowl – Sharon Palmer, The Plant Powered Dietitian
Plant-based grain bowls—light, healthy meals comprised of a whole grain, lots of vegetables, a healthful protein source, and a flavorful sauce—are all the rage. This plant-based (vegan), gluten-free Green Goddess Grain Bowl combines the star nutrition power of whole grain sorghum and beans with cool green veggies, such as arugula, avocados, cucumbers, asparagus, and pumpkin seeds. Plus, it’s topped with a house-made, plant-based Green Goddess Dressing that is as tasty as it is pretty.
Power up on a serene, healthy, plant-based (vegan), gluten-free Green Goddess Grain Bowl, which is packed with cool green veggies, whole grains, white beans, pumpkin seeds, and a light Green Goddess Dressing.
- 2 cups cooked whole grain sorghum, cooled
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans (i.e., Great Northern, cannellini)
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed, sliced
- 4 cups packed baby arugula leaves
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
Green Goddess Dressing:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plain, unsweetened plant-based milk (i.e., soy, almond, coconut)
- 1/4 ripe large avocado, peeled, sliced
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber, with peel
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (i.e., dill, parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, cilantro)
- 1 stalk green onion, white and green parts, diced
- 1 small garlic clove
- Pinch white pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
To make Grain Bowls:
- Cook whole grain sorghum to make 2 cups, according to package directions, and cool, draining any remaining liquid.
- While sorghum is cooking, prepare all other ingredients and the dressing (see below.)
- Rinse and drain white beans and set aside.
- Blanch asparagus by cooking it in boiling water for 3-4 minutes (or microwaving for 2 minutes in a glass dish with water), until just tender, but still bright green; set aside.
- Arrange 1 cup arugula leaves at the bottom of each large, individual serving bowl. Use 4 (3-cup) bowls.
- Arrange over the arugula leaves in each bowl: ¼ of the white beans (about ½ cup); ½ cup cooked, cooled sorghum; ¼ sliced avocado; ¼ of the cucumber slices (about ½ cup); ¼ of the blanched, cooled asparagus; a dollop (about 2 tablespoons) of Green Goddess Dressing (see below); 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds.
- Serve immediately.
To make Green Goddess Dressing:
- Place all of the dressing ingredients into the container of a small blender and process until smooth.
- Makes 1/2 cup (4 servings).
This recipe is excellent for meal prep by preparing 4 individual servings in sealed containers and refrigerating it to be enjoyed during the week. You can also serve this recipe in one large dish by following instructions and arranging all ingredients in one large salad bowl instead of 4 individual serving bowls. If you prefer more dressing with the bowls, you may double the dressing recipe, and keep leftovers in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 1 week.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 389
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 20 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 60 g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 16 g
Keywords: green goddess bowl, vegan green goddess recipe
For more plant-powered bowl meals, check out some of my favorites:
Thai Tofu Veggie Noodle Bowl
Moroccan Chickpea Sorghum Bowl
Stir-Fried Thai Sorghum Bowl
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, click here.
Credit: Source link